The biggest island in Thailand, Phuket is a really popular tourist destination and a favorite stop amongst those enjoying Asia Pacific travel. And though the island is well known for it’s relaxing, low-key atmosphere, there are lots of events held year-round that draw visitors from all around the planet.
Below, we have listed the top six Phuket events so that you can plan your Phuket journey beforehand.
1) Patong Carnival – Also referred to as the Phuket Travel Fair, this party starts on November 1st and is a way for the locals to welcome at the beginning of the tourist season.
A number of a distinct festival (which is also known as ” เทศกาล ” in the Thai language) and activities, such as water sports competitions, a Miss Visitor Contest, parades and other sporting events, occur throughout the island. An excellent way for those on Phuket journey to become introduced into the sailors and culture, the carnival is the most popular island occasions.
2) Vegetarian Festival – This festival is geared more towards the natives then the tourists, but it is interesting for people to be a part of the ritual. Held on the first day of the 9th lunar month of the year, which can be September or October, this festival is celebrated by those locals of Chinese ancestry.
3) Laguna Phuket Triathlon – Held in December, this triathlon involves a 1,800-meter swim, a 5.5-kilometer bike race, a 12-kilometer run and a 6-kilometer fun run. Attracting athletes from all around the world, the triathlon is a superb way for those on Phuket travel to enjoy sports on holiday.
4) Thao Thep Krasattri and Thao Si Sunthon Fair – annually on March 13th, those on Asia Pacific travel can visit Phuket to enjoy this festival/fair, which celebrates both of these heroines who invited the Thalang people to rally together and discriminated against Burmese invaders.
5) Chao Le Boat Floating Festival – This festival is held from the sea gypsy villages at Rawai and Sapam twice per year during the middle of the sixth and eleventh lunar months. Those enjoying Phuket travel may look ahead to various ceremonies, including the launch of little ships, which are supposed to drive away evil and bring good luck.
6) Phuket King’s Cup Regatta – This event takes place every December at the Kata Beach Resort. Yachtsmen from various nations, especially those neighboring Phuket, swarm to the island to compete for royal decorations.